- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 envelopes dry yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs beaten
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup golden seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup candied cherries halved
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, in which 2 tsp. sugar has been added. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Combine milk, margarine, sugar and salt in saucepan. Heat over low heat until margarine is melted; cool to lukewarm.
- Add liquid mixture to dissolved yeast.
- Beat in eggs and 2 cups flour until smooth
- Stir in gradually, additional flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead until smooth and satiny. About 8 to 10 minutes.
- Knead in almonds and fruits.
- Place in greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover with a greased waxed paper.
- Let rise in warm and humid place until doubled in bulk about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each piece into 12 x 8 inch oval.
- Fold in thirds lengthwise, overlapping folds.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
- Frost with a Confectioners' sugar frosting while warm If desired decorate with whole blanched and candied cherries.
Makes 2 stollens