Holiday Coffee Wreath
- About 4-1/3 cups flour, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup each water and milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds or other nuts
- In large bowl combine 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, the salt, cardamom and yeast.
- In small saucepan melt butter; add water. milk and raisins; heat to 120'.
- Add to flour mixture; beat with mixer on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Remove 2 tablespoons beaten eggs; reserve.
- Add remaining eggs and 1 cup flour; beat on high speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl; turn to greased top.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down; turn out on lightly floured surface and, using more flour if necessary, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Cut dough in 3 equal pieces.
- Shape each to 30-inch-long rope.
- Braid ropes loosely; transfer braid to lightly greased baking sheet and shape in wreath pinching ends firmly together.
- Place a 6-ounce custard cup, greased on outside upside down in hole in center.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place about 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Brush with reserved egg; sprinkle with mixture of remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and almonds.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and done.
- Remove to rack to cool.
- Serve or wrap airtight and store in cool place or freeze.
- Best eaten within 1 week.
Makes 12 servings.