- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulate sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 small angel food cake or 1/2 large cake
- 1/2 seedless raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or raspberry juice
- 2 pkg. frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained (300 g each)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds, whole raspberries or candied fruit
- Custard: In heavy saucepan, heat milk until bubbles start to appear around edges.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, beat yolks and sugar with whisk until light and fluffy
- Beat in cornstarch; slowly whisk in warm milk.
- Pour back into saucepan.
- Trifle: Cut cake into 3/4-inch slices; spread with jam.
- Spread thin layer of custard in bottom of glass bowl (preferably straight-sided)
- Arrange a layer of cake slices over custard.
- Sprinkle with one-third of the raspberries.
- Pour one-third of the remaining custard over berries.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Whip cream with icing sugar; spread over trifle.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and raspberries or candied fruit.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.