A French Canadian Treat
- 2 lbs pork and veal
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tsp.nutmeg
- dash of mace, cayenne, allspice, mustard
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt
- pastry using 3 cups flour
- Chop the meat finely but do not grind
- Place in a saucepan with seasonings, water and any bone that was left in the meat
- Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 1 hour, adding water if necessary as the meat cooks.
- The mixture when finishing should be thick.
- Sometimes bacon is added and the meat, onions and bacon are browned before the water is added.
- Remove the bone, season if necessary
- Prepare the pastry; line 2-8" pie plates or 8 individual pie tins
- Fill with the meat mixture; add a top crust, cut to let the steam escape.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 40 minutes.
These pies are usually wrapped and frozen (in the past stored outdoors when weather is below freezing) until needed. They are heated at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and are served hot with chili sauce.