- 3 cups rye flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup carob powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1/3 tsp. yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- Prepare dough at night.
- Mix flours and salt in a large bowl.
- Add oil and rub mixture well with hands to break up lumps.
- Add yeast water and mix well.
- Add other water slowly (VERY gooy) and mix by hand.
- Knead approximately 5 minutes until dough doesn't stick to bowl
- Place on a floured surface and knead 5 more minutes.
- Place in a well oiled bowl and cover with a wet towel.
- Let stand overnight. In the morning, knead 5 more minutes.
- Allow to stand on an oiled baking sheet 2 hours covered with a damp
- Divide into loaves and brush top with yolk and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees approximately 50 minutes.
- Makes 2 loaves.