Rice Christmas Tree
I wasn't sure whether to put this one in the recipe section or in the craft section. So if you consider this a recipe well, you're right, but I used this as a craft at my daughters Christmas/Birthday party and it was a real hit.
- 5 cups rice krispies or generic rice cereal
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 4 cups mini-marshmallows or 6-10 oz. bag of regular marshmallows
- 10 - 12 regular size marshmallows and toothpicks green food coloring
- red cinnamon candies, Smarties, M&Ms, or any other small colorful candies
- Melt margarine in a 3 qt. saucepan.
- Add 4 cups marshmallows and cook over low heat stirring constantly till syrupy.
- Remove from heat, add green food coloring till a fairly dark green color.
- Add cereal and stir until well coated.
- Shape into conical forms with buttered hands (kid LOVE to do this part, but make sure the mixture is not too hot)
- When cooled, stick a toothpick through a marshmallow and stick into the bottom to serve as the tree's base. (optional)
- Decorate with colorful candies.
- One note don't expect the tree to be beautiful when children are making them. Usually they are on their way to being eaten on the spot!