Raisen 'N Egg Batter Bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 degrees - 115 degrees)
- 2 pkgs. dry yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 41/2 cups white flour
- 1 cup raisins
- Scald milk; stir in sugar, honey, salt and shortening.
- Let cool
to lukewarm (105 degrees F.- 115 degrees F.).
- Add yeast to warm water in a large bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the warm milk mixture into the yeast.
- Add the egg and then mix in three cups of the flour, beating well
after each addition.
- After the third cup, beat till smooth.
- Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until
doubled in bulk, about one hour.
- Stir batter down and beat in raisins, distributing them as evenly
- Grease two 1 qt. casserole dishes or two loaf pans and divide the
batter evenly between them.
- Batter does not need to rise again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake bread for 40-45 minutes or