- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 -3/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Combine water, egg and salt and add to 3 cups flour.
- Mix well, add and knead in fourth cup of flour until smooth and elastic.
- Brush with oil and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Roll out as for pie crust and cut out with a round cookie cutter.
- Place the round on the palm of a hand.
- Place a spoonful of filling'(below) on it, fold over to form a half-circle.
- Press the edges together with your fingers, making sure the edges are free from filling.
- Have the edges sealed well to prevent filling from running out.
- Place the pyrohy on a tea towel side by side without touching one another.
- Cover with another tea towel to prevent drying out.
- Drop into boiling salted water and stir with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking to bottom.
- Boil 4 to 5 minutes.
- Strain in a colander and pour 1 cup cold water over them.
- Drain, place in a dish, sprinkle with oil and toss gently to coat evenly.
- Chopped onion browned in oil could be used if desired.
- Serve hot.
FILL FOR PHROHY
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- Salt, pepper to taste 1
- /2 tbsp. chopped onion
- Sauté onion in oil, season and add to potatoes.
- Mix well.
- 1/2 cup water
- Sugar to taste
- 1 cup prunes
- Bring to a boil.
- Let cool.
- Rremove stones and let drain on an absorbent paper.
- Chop fine.