- 2 cups warm water
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup soft margarine or oil
- 1 egg
- Approximately 6 1/2 cups of flour
- Put water in large warm bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast. Stir.
- Add sugar, salt,
oil, beaten egg, and 3 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add enough additional
flour to make stiff dough.
- Cover bowl tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate
for 2-24 hours.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board.
- Divide in half.
- Cut each half
into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into 20-inch pencil shapes.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Blend 1 egg yolk and 2 T. water and brush pretzels with it.
with course salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from baking
sheets and cool on wire racks.