Picadello (Southern Dish)
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 onions chopped.
- 1 green pepper diced
- 3 tbs. oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 cans tomato drained and chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 or 2 crushed chilies
- Hard cooked eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup olives
- 1 or 3 large diced potatoes (can substitute rice)
- Sauté garlic, onion and green peppers in hot oil for 2 minutes.
- Add meat and stir fry until pinkness is gone and juices evaporate.
- Drain in a sieve if you wish to discard fat.
- Add all ingredients except raisins and olives.
- Cover and simmer 20 min. stirring occasionally and adding more broth and tomato juice if you like a soupier mixture.
- Stir in raisins and olives simmer 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped hard cooked eggs and parsley.
- If omitting potatoes could be served on hot rice or noodles...spinach noodles perhaps.
from Rolande Hastings