- 3 whole med. chicken breasts
(1 1/2libs) skinned, halved lenthwise and boned
- Several dashes ground red pepper
(caution: red pepper is hot!)
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar/honey
- 1 orange
- 1 1/4 c. orange juice
- 2 tsp. aromatic bitters
- 1 c. brown rice
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 c. snipped parsley
- Arrange chicken breasts in a 12 x 7 1/2 X 2 inch baking dish; sprinkle with the red pepper.
- Bake, covered, in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove peel from orange.
- Slice half the peel into julienne strips; discard remaining peel.
- Simmer julienne strips in enough water to cover about 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Section orange. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice, omitting salt and adding dried basil and parsley and mix.
- Sauce: In a small pan stir together flour and sugar.
- Stir in 1 1/4 orange juice.
- Cook and stir till thick and bubbly.
- Add orange peel and bitters.
- Remove chicken from oven.
- Place chicken on cutting board and make slices that are 1-2 inches wide.
- Re-assemble each chicken breast and return to baking dish.
- Spoon sauce over chicken.
- Return to oven.
- Bake uncovered 5 -10 minutes.
- Arrange chicken slices on cooked brown rice; spoon orange sauce on top.
- Garnish with reserved orange sections.
from Carolynn Boyd