Quick Mulligatawny Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups bite-size chunks cooked chicken
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and curry powder,
- Stir over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken broth, water, rice, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Stir in chicken, applesauce and parsley.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until soup is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Serve immediately
Crusty bread and a tossed salad go well with this main-dish soup.
Makes 7 cups. 4 servings.