Lemon-Nutmeg Meltaway Cookies
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 tablespoons (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup 10X (confectioners') sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Sift flour, cornstarch, salt and nutmeg onto wax paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and lemon rind in a medium-size bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture.
- Beat on low speed, scraping bowl, until mixture is smooth.
- Roll dough by measuring teaspoonfuls into balls.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet;
- flatten slightly to 1 1/4 - inch circles with bottom of glass dipped in 10X sugar.
- Bake in a slow oven (325 degrees F) for 15 minutes or until cookies have turned a very pale golden-brown around the edges.
- Cool 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Pack into airtight containers and store up to 1 week.
Note: Cookies can be put together in pairs as follows:
- Cook 1/2 cup apricot preserves with 1 tablespoon sugar in a small saucepan for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cool, then spread just enough of the mixture between pairs of cookies to hold firmly.
Makes 64 single cookies or 32 double cookies