Iced Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 lb. butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- l egg
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red and green food colouring
- Grate 11/2 tsp. of the yellow zest from the lemon and squeeze 1 tbs. juice.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer set at medium-low speed, beat lemon zest, butter and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until fluffy and light in color. Reduce speed and gradually beat in flour mixture just until dough starts to come together. Do not over beat.
- Gather dough into a ball and divide in half. Wrap each half and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough at a time to about 1/8" thick. Cut with a cookie cutter.
- Put on ungreased baking sheets and bake until edges start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Stir the lemon juice into the confectioners' sugar. Stir in 3 to 4 Tbs. water until icing is thin enough to spread.
- Divide among 3 bowls. Use food coloring to tint one red and one green, leaving one white.
- Ice the tops of the cookies and let dry.
- Thin remaining icing slightly with water. Scoop up some thinned icing into a zip-lock sandwich bag. Clip one corner, squeeze bag and drizzle a zig zag line of icing over the cookies.
Makes About 2 1/2 dozen cookies