- 4 salt herrings, ask for ones with milt
- Sliced medium onion
- 1 tsp. mixed spices
- 1 c. vinegar
- Wash herrings, and soak in cold water overnight changing water three or four times.
- Set milt aside.
- Wash thoroughly again and cut into serving pieces.
- Pack in sterile jars alternating with sliced onions, spices and milt.
- Milt may be crushed and added to vinegar if desired.
- Pour vinegar over herrings and seal.
- Sore in refrigerator overnight before serving. (Herring could be filleted if desired).