Ginger Cookies or Gingerbread Men & Women
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- Sift and measure flour. Add salt, baking soda and spices - sift twice again.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, gradually blend in sugar till creamy.
- Add beaten egg and molasses, add flour mixture.
- Turn onto floured board. Knead till smooth.
- Shape into 3 rolls, 2" in diameter.
- Wrap each roll in wax paper.
- Chill overnight in fridge.
- Cut crosswise with a knife in 1/8" thick slices.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 350.
- Dust with sugar on top when baked.
- Decorate and hang on your tree for little visitors.
- To make gingerbread men & women. Roll out chilled dough on floured surface (1/8"), cut out, and bake as above.