Field Mouse Punch
"Punch" comes from the Hindu word punch which means "five", so named because the drink originally contained five standard ingredients. Now there are many variations, this one being used at a neighbourhood Christmas party because the cider can be left out for a group containing children.
- 1 cup (200 ml) sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 can (46 oz or 1.3 L) unsweetened grapefruit juice
- 1 can (6 ox or 170 ml) frozen orange juice with water added as per instructions on can.
- 1 quart (0.94L) of cider or apple juice
- Combine sugar, 1/2 cup water, cloves and cinnamon, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain in large bowl, combine fruit juice and cider.
- Stir in sugar syrup.
- Reheat and serve hot or can be served well chilled.
- Garnish with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.
Makes 26 punch cup servings