- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 quarts milk
- 1 cup brandy (optional)
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
About 4 hours before serving or early in day:
- In heavy 4 quart saucepan with wire whisk, beat eggs, sugar, and salt until blended.
- Gradually stir in a quart of milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (this takes about 25 minutes).
- Pour custard in a large bowl; stir in brandy, vanilla, l teaspoon ground nutmeg, and second quart of milk.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
- When ready to serve beat whipping cream in a small bowl until soft peaks form (mixer at medium speed).
- With wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture.
- Pour eggnog into chilled 5 quart punch bowl
- sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Makes 16 cups or 32 (1/2 cup) servings.