The Ultimate Butter Tart
These are the most deliciously gooey butter tarts your family ever tasted.
Ingredients Tart Shells
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 ml)
- 3/4 tsp. salt (4 ml)
- 1 cup shortening (250 ml)
- 4 tbsp ice water (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar (125 ml)
- 1/2 corn syrup (125 ml)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla (5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (1 ml)
- 3/4 cup raisins (175 ml)
- Prepare pastry recipe.
- Roll out thinly on lightly floured surface. Cut into rounds 2 1/4 " (10 cm) cutter.
- Fit into medium-sized muffin cups.
- Filling: Combine all filling ingredients except raisins: mix well.
- Put raisins into pastry shell, dividing evenly.
- Fill 2/3 full with syrup mixture.
- Bake on bottom shelf at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 12-15 minutes or just until set.
- Don't overbake. Underbaking makes them runnier!
- Cool on wire rack, then remove from pans.