- 1 pint whipping cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Sugar for the topping - Blend 4 tbsp. granulated sugar to 1 tsp. brown sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat cream over low heat until bubbles form around the edge of pan.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat cream into egg yolks.
- Stir in vanilla and pour into 6 (6 oz) custard cups.
- Place custard cups in baking pan that has about 1/2 inch water in bottom.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes.
- Remove custard cups from water and refrigerate until chilled.
- Sprinkle each custard with about 2 teaspoons sugar blend.
- Place on top rack under boiler until topping is medium brown.
- Chill before serving.