Three Flour Braided Bread
Makes 2 loaves
- 2 1/4 cups white flour
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 tbs. salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- Add 2 1/4 cups very warm water (120 - 130 F)
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed
- Add 1 cup white flour.
- Beat at high speed 2 minute.
Divide batter into 3 bowls
- Make whole wheat dough by beating 2 tbs. molasses and 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour into 1/3 of batter.
- Make rye dough by adding 2 tbs. molasses, 1 teaspoon caraway seed, 1 tablespoon coca, and 1 1/4 cups rye flour to 1/3 of batter.
- Make white dough by beating
1 1/4 cups white flour into remaining batter.
- Knead each dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Cover. Let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down. On floured board, divide each dough in half.
- Roll each piece into a 15 inch rope.
- On a greased baking sheet, braid together a white, whole wheat, and rye rope.
- Pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover, let rise until doubled about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 - 40 minutes or until done. Cool.