- 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced beets
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup 1" pieces string beans
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped dill leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 quart tomatoes, peeled and quartered or 1 can tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped dill leaves
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cover potatoes and beets with water, add salt and vinegar.
- Put on to boil; add carrots, beans and peas.
- Add water to cover vegetables
- Boil 15 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage, parsley, the 1 tbsp chopped dill, and 1/4 cup onion, tomatoes, celery, salt and pepper, adding more water if necessary.
- Boil 30 minutes longer.
- Melt butter in fry pan; add 1/2 cup chopped onion and cook until onion is tender but not brown.
- Add onions to soup with 1 1/2 tsp. dill and 1 tbsp. sugar.
- Boil 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for 1/2 hour.
- Add a little soup to the sour cream; return to soup pot and stir well .
- Place over low heat for few minutes until heated through.
- Serves 6