Large Servings for a Crowd
Borscht for 100
- 5 gallons soup stock
- 4 cups minced onions
- 4 cups shredded beets
- 4 cups carrots, diced
- 8 cups potatoes, cubed
- 4 celery stalks
- 6 lbs. Cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups sweet peppers, shredded
- 2/3 cup fresh green dill, shredded
- 1 gallon canned tomatoes
- 12 tins tomato soup (large)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover 25 to 30 lbs of soup bones with cold water and let bones simmer very gently all night in a big food cooker, adding salt and a few stalks of celery.
- In the morning strain the soup stock, add all the vegetables and cook until done.
- Serve with sour cream.
1 recipe yields 3- 12x18 inch cakes, 3 recipes serves 100 people
- 12 cups flour
- 2 cups water or milk
- 3 cups shortening
- 4 eggs
- 10 tsp. baking powder
- 8 tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- Sift dry ingredients and cut in shortening.
- Beat eggs slightly and add to milk.
- Combine with dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Roll out, put in pan and top with fruit and crumbs.
- If pie filling is used, top only with crumbs.
- Fresh fruit should be topped with sugar first, depending on the tartness of the fruit.
- Leftover pastry rolled out thin and cut in thin strips may be placed crisscross on top of crumbs.
Crumbs: (enough for 3 cakes)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 6 tbsp. Butter
- Mix to form crumbs.
- Sprinkle on top of fruit
- Bake for half an hour in 350 degree F oven or until nicely browned.